Reading the body language what emotions is he portraying .
a. happy ?
f. devastated ?
To interpret body language the gestures alone are not enough. To get an accurate appraisal you need the three Cs. Context - Congruence - Clusters
With the rest of this post I have inserted some other sporting pictures for you to practise you body language interpretation skills.
What has this to do with selling ?
|Toothache ? Screwing his head back on? Stretching his neck|
England and Chelsea Star John Terry
Photo of picture clipping from metro newspaper source of photo : PA
|Victorious? I want to punch you? |
Spanish soccer star Alonso
Photo of Newspaper clipping metro source of original photograph AFP
If their arms are folded, they are frowning and leaning away from you then there is a cluster of behaviours all suggesting a problem and again you need to investigate.
Buyers convey their true feelings, mainly through the following body positions body angle facial expression, hands arms and legs. These positions make up a Body Cluster.
It is the study of a body cluster , rather than the individual "cluster element" of body position, that give the observant salesperson useful clues of the buyer's true feelings.
|Basic Body Language ready reckoner|
Handshakes: The new Buyers' Views of salespeople Survey 2012 reveals that 91.9% of Buyers consider it always necessary to shake hands. For more information on the TACK Buyers' views of Salespeople 2012 will be published shortly, contact email@example.com
Acceptance signals: indicate that the client is interested in what you have to say and you may proceed
Caution Signals: are a sign of neutral or sceptical feelings to what you are presenting. You need to react to these signals as they represent a breakdown in communication and show little buyer interest in your offer.
- Should you observe these caution signals; the following actions will help:
- Alter the course of your planned presentation
- Encourage the buyer to express their attitudes and beliefs through the Tell me, Explain to me , Describe for me conversational questioning technique.
- Listen carefully with patience and interest to what the buyer is saying and reply directly
- Express positive acceptance signals yourself.
Disagreement signals: indicate that your buyer feels strongly negative about your message and you will need to adjust to the situation straightaway.You can use some of the courses of action suggested for caution signals above, but also by:
- Stopping your planned action
- Reducing or removing any pressure on the buyer to buy or participate in the conversation using a more diplomatic selling style.
- telegraphing your awareness of the negative vibes shows a willingness to help not just tell-sell
You should be alert, not only to what a buyers says. but also to their body language. Don't jump t conclusions on an isolated gesture. wait until the gestures from a cluster before your react. You need to interpret non-verbal signals and react to them correctly, both verbally and in their own body language to increase your effectiveness.
Well I guess there will be all manner of sports photos over this summer of Sports Euro 2012, Wimbledon, London 2012 Olympics etc. to practise your body language interpretation skills.
memwhile what's Andy Murray thinking ?
Good Luck Mr Murray.